In today’s business environment, having international work experience means the difference between success and failure. Multinational corporations recognize this. The human resources departments of many of these firms have implemented sophisticated international managerial rotation programs. Academic research from professors at Columbia Business School has even concluded that people with international experience are more likely to create new businesses and products and to be promoted.
However, formal international job opportunities in established multinational corporations are few and far between, and landing your ideal job overseas requires more than having a polished resume and a degree from a top-tier educational institution. Even candidates who speak a foreign language fluently will need more than language abilities to navigate complex international corporate bureaucracies.
The big question is: How can you have a successful global career?
What You Will Learn
I always adopt a hands-on approach, and tailor my presentation to meet the specific goals of each organization. However, in general this presentation answers the following questions:
- Foundation: What do you need to consider before starting a global career?
- Landing the Job: How should you approach your international job search?
- Career Progression: What does it take to get promoted in a foreign business environment
- Transitioning Back: How can you relocate back to your home country while applying your newly acquired international experience to the next stage in your career?
Organizations who want to communicate to their employees the value of international work assignments. Additionally, academic institutions, particularly MBA programs, are great fits for this engagement.
This presentation can be delivered as a keynote or workshop, ranging from 30–90 minutes long, depending on your needs. The ideal keynote length is 45 minutes.
- Audience members will be convinced that international work experience is critical to their career progression
- Audience members will gain first-hand insight into how they can approach their international career transition
- Audience members will receive actionable next steps and resources to help them take action immediately following the event
- I am the author of an award-winning book about international leadership, China Goes West: Everything You Need to Know About Chinese Companies Going Global (Palgrave Macmillan)
- I have personally started an international career in Asia (Taipei, Beijing, Shanghai, Singapore) and successfully transitioned back to my home country
- Parts of my international career story were featured in the Wall Street Journal‘s 2013 article titled, “When the Brand Your Selling is You“
- I regularly coach professionals and academics on proactively managing their careers
The Next Step
Thank you for considering me for your event. You can take the next step by checking my availability. Just click on the button below. I will get back to your right away.